HOME PAGE‎ > ‎

BLUE PLAQUES

 
WHO DECIDES WHO GETS A BLUE PLAQUE IN BRISTOL?

 A Committee of Councillors from all parties and representatives from the Civic Society an the Department of Environment Transport and Leisure meet annually to discuss the nominations that have been received.


  ABOUT BRISTOL BLUE PLAQUES
 
  •  They commmorate people or events in Bristol
 
  • They are erected on the building where the person lived  or worked
 
  • The person has to be deceased and have lived or worked in Bristol 
 
 
 
THE FIRST BLUE PLAQUE CEREMONY IN HENLEAZE
 MARCH 2008
 
 
THE PLAQUE IS ONTHE BOUNDARY WALL
OF EASTFIELD LODGE, HENLEAZE
 AND COMMEMORATES
JOHN ZIMAN,
PHYSICIST, PHILOSOPHER AND HUMANIST
 THE SECOND BLUE PLAQUE IN HENLEAZE

Graham Joyner, a former pupil at the Royal School for the Blind, has lobbied for nearly three years now for a blue plaque to mark this historic site. The Lord Mayor, Colin Smith unveiled a plaque on Tuesday, 3 May 2011 with the help of Graham who has worked as a gardener in Henleaze since the 1950s after leaving the school.

(postcard archive photo collection)

It was good to learn that The Right Honourable, The Lord Mayor of Bristol, Councillor Colin Smith has a keen interest in both family and local history.

Former pupils of the Blind School came to the event from Devon, Cornwall and Bristol, a former lady teacher, a representative from the Deaf Centre and Henleaze residents which included trustees from The Henleaze Society. The number of people attending was more than 40.

The school was originally situated in the centre of Bristol and was one of the oldest institutions for the blind in the world. It accepted pupils from all over the country. Work started on the new school in Henleaze in 1909. It was subsequently opened in 1911. Declining numbers, mainly through medical advances, led to the closure of the school in 1968. It was demolished in 1971. 

 The plaque was laid opposite the entrance to Old Quarry Park near Pyecroft, the lead road into the grounds of the former Royal School for the Blind . 

Royal School for the Blind logo on a blazer (courtesy of Graham Joyner)

Bristol - Henleaze Road 1950's (courtesy of Richard Walker)

Bottom end of Henleaze Road (Dual Carrigeway Section) in the 1950's. Land to the right belonged to the Royal School for the Blind,The building in the centre of the shot was a Gate house and Shop for products made by the blind. The land is now a housing development. The land to the left was one of the Eastvile quarry's now filled in and a public green space (now known as Old Quarry Park).


More information about the School can be found in The Henleaze Book.

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 

Comments