TALKS‎ > ‎


Veronica Bowerman presented The History of Henleaze and Its Lake to Members of The Malago Society in a packed hall in Bishopsworth on 24 March 2009.


Many thanks to André Coutanche and members of the Society for making me so welcome, in the absence of Mavis Eddy, the Chairman and Programme Secretary, who was on holiday. Thanks also to Marie Jo Coutanche for selling copies of The Henleaze Lake Story and The Henleaze Book at her bookstall that evening.


It was interesting to how many facets of the presentation also related to the Bedminster area. These are just a couple of the examples:


Clara Butt, the famous contralto, lived in Bedminster for a number of years came was invited to sing at an event in the gardens of the Priors (demolished in 1938 and replaced by the housing in new roads Priory Avenue and Priory Court Road). On that warm sultry evening the boarders in adjacent Redmaids’ School were thrilled to hear Clara Butt singing. Her selection that evening included Land of Hope and Glory.


Stanley Badock, who lived in The Manor, Southmead Road and subsequently at Holmwood, Westbury on Trym, became a local industrialist and businessman. He After quarrying ceased in Southmead Quarry spring waters started to fill the area and Stanley Badock, the lessee of the lake, stocked it with trout so he and his friends could enjoy fishing and boating. Thanks to his initial management the renamed Henleaze Lake subsequently included facilities for swimming as well and became known as Henleaze Swimming Club. The Club, which has stood the test of time, still has many fishing and swimming members. It is very proud of its heritage and history as detailed in The Henleaze Lake Story – see



Stanley Badock’s impressive entry in Who Was Who (1925-1950) included his appointment as a Director of Capper, Pass & Son Ltd, the famous copper smelting works in Bedminster. Coincidentally the cover of the local booklet Malago, issue 59, shows an old photo of Capper Pass with interesting notes of its history on page 11. Veronica was kindly presented with a copy at the Presentation. For further details please see 
Councillor Royston Griffey, Deputy Lord Mayor, was one of the members of the audience. Henleaze residents may remember, when he was Lord Mayor he officiated at the first blue plaque for Henleaze for John Ziman in March 2008. He was also intrigued to learn that the last residents of Waterdale House were member of the Griffey family, but unknown to him. He is in the process of compiling his family tree so a confirmed connection may be firmed up in the future?

Ken Jenkins, a former Henleaze resident and scouting friend of Ray Pepworth was also there. Ken provided the wonderful photo featured in The Henleaze Book of a number 142 bus ploughing through floods on Henleaze Road, at the bottom of Rockside Drive on Friday, 13 June 1952.


Several other Henleaze residents, past and present, made themselves known during the interval. At the close of the event Councillor, Mary Sykes gave a vote of thanks to Veronica Bowerman on behalf of members of The Malago Society.